Life's little celebrations can be like taking a little vacation from yourself. By that I mean that the regular world requires decisions and commitments toward a decorating style. When you buy a certain couch or table, say, or a lamp, you are making assertions about a way of living. But a special occasion can be the perfect time to indulge those whims that never see daylight.
I don't decorate much like Rachel Ashwell, but I appreciate the beauty of her style. Valentines Day gives me a good excuse to indulge her ultra romantic way of putting things together.
When I went to make my Valentines box (from a shoe box) I knew I wanted soft and sweet. I took it one step at a time starting with a pastel wall paper I picked up ages ago from a thrift store (probably by Laura Ashley, another favorite), and added things from there.
The tattered cotton strips (heart strings) are a nod to both Rachel's pin bouquets and her dream catchers that I saw when I visited her shop last summer.
I then added a few cut out papers, paper doilies, stamps, and a different wall paper scrap with a larger rose motif. I wanted my box to be spare and simple like Rachel's style. But you can keep adding and adding to a box like this.
I was thrilled to pull out this Rachel blue rhinestone pin from my vintage jewelry stash! The key motif is perfect! I just pinned it on.
A small folded envelope with a heart punch from Michael's craft store.
A ribbon and more doilies wrapped around the bottom, and voila! Happy Valentine's day!
A box like this might be a fun prop for a Valentine Tea or dessert table, or even for serving up treats inside! Tell everybody to bring you a Valentine! *smile* Is that Chic? Or just Shabby?
Thank you, Rachel, for all the inspiration!
Hope y'all have a great week!
Jacqueline
Linked to

0 Yorumlar