I wanted a couple of cushions to make my new chair as comfy and cozy as possible. So while the Great Grannie Madness was upon me, it made perfect sense for the first cushion to be a granny square too.
I'd already started the Giant Grannie at this stage and I thought that the matter of choosing colours for this cushion was so easy. I picked out the ones that went best with my chair, my favourites, the ones I thought looked the very bestest and I dashed off a granny square pronto.
Backs are no trouble for me these days. Gone are the days of agonising over finding suitable material and dragging the sewing machine out. A little part of that is because I have a dedicated sewing table these days, but the big part of it is, because now I crochet my backs, instead of sewing them.
If you were reading last year, and recall the days of Diagonally and Elmer the Cushion, then you'll know that I found this new method a revelation. In fact, I still do.
Not least because you don't have to make any button holes or line the buttons up to sew them on or anything, you can just use the natural holes in the crochet.
Actually, somebody did comment back then that they would be interested in knowing how I attach these backs, as I crochet them directly onto the fronts rather than make them separately and sew them together afterwards. I was thinking a little tutorial may be order. Any takers for such a scheme?
Did you also notice in that first 'back' photo up there, my obvious mistake? Have a close look at the bottom right. See it? Yep, a rather unattractive mismatching of cream yarns. Not good.
I really should have thought about it before I started because I was using up some old Bonus DK cream and I only had a little left. When I run out I merrily carried on with my usual Stylecraft Special cream and didn't really notice the difference in the cozy glow of the evening lights. Hey ho, it's on the back, I really am struggling to worry too much about it.
I just thought I'd share though, because we all want to take lovely pictures of our crafting and with careful and selective photography it can be easy to make things look perfect. So, if all you ever see is photos on a blog you can be forgiven for thinking that other people's things really are all perfect. But they're not. They're real and real is rarely perfect, especially if you are a lazy toe-rag like me who can't always be bothered to fix mistakes!
I also decided not to do an edging round like I would usually. I felt that it looked neat enough that I could get away with it and the couple of edges I did try didn't seem to suit. So there it is, the naked, un-edged edge.
So let's see the whole thing...
And here it is in it's home, my chair.
So let's see the whole thing...
And here it is in it's home, my chair.
Strangely though, after picking all my favourite colours, I don't like the finished effect as much as I thought I would. It's so odd how things work out. My Giant Grannie blanket colours I worried over, doubted myself, chopped and changed and I ended up loving it.
For this Comfy Grannie cushion, I thought I knew what I was doing and thought it'd be fabulous and I ended up... quite liking it. I mean, it's nice and all but... just that, nice.
Don't forget to let me know if you think a 'cushion back' tutorial would be useful...
S x











0 Yorumlar